Goal of a Mentor Program
The goal of the mentor program is to match the expertise and interests of our Volunteer Mentors to the expressed needs of the entrepreneur who requires assistance in improving his/her business operations. We will do our best to match mentor/entrepreneurs through personal profiles, interest inventories, and interviews and get acquainted sessions.
What is a mentor?
A mentor is a confidential advisor or coach with the purpose of working as a sharer of information, communicator, facilitator and advisor to the entrepreneur.
Role of the mentor
- Share your experience as an entrepreneur, professional or business manager through early stages of a business start-up or existing company.
- Develop a relationship based on trust, respect and support.
- Act as a sounding board and coach.
- Guide and make suggestions to enable the entrepreneur to make clear, well thought out decisions.
- Ask questions and challenge the business owner in his/her decision making process.
- Use your personal and business networks for additional expertise to share with the business owner.
Expectations/Responsibility of a the entrepreneur
- Sign and submit a completed mentor registration.
- Operate within the stated parameters of ProMontreal Entrepreneurs’ legal and ethical policies.
- Hold no financial investment in the entrepreneur’s business.
- Discuss with the business owner any expectations you have regarding levels of contact.
- Reply to telephone or e-mail messages from the entrepreneur within three business days.
- Provide feedback on your mentoring relationship by filling out a Mentor Feedback Report.
- Contact the ProMontreal Entrepreneurs Coordinator immediately with any concerns regarding your mentorship relationship.
What are the benefits for mentors? What’s in it for me?
- Opportunity to positively influence another entrepreneur by sharing your skills, values and experiences.
- Enjoy the satisfaction of seeing other businesses succeed.
- Make productive use of your knowledge.
- Renew your interest in your own work through connection to young entrepreneurs and their energy.
- Broaden your horizons.
Role and Responsibilities
I agree to participate as a mentor to a young entrepreneur in ProMontreal Entrepreneurs’ Mentorship Program. I understand that a mentor’s advice or counsel is part of a coaching relationship and I pledge to use my best judgment and objectivity in my role as a ProMontreal Entrepreneurs mentor. I understand that the entrepreneur remains fully and solely responsible for any and all personal business decisions during his/her participation in the Mentorship Program, and the entrepreneur shall not create any fiduciary or other obligation with respect to any outcomes of the advice or assistance provided by me or by other ProMontreal Entrepreneurs members.
I understand ProMontreal Entrepreneurs clients may include any young entrepreneur who approaches the organization, its community partners, or individuals associated with the ProMontreal Entrepreneurs Program. I agree I will not disclose the ideas, business information or personal affairs of any ProMontreal Entrepreneurs client without the entrepreneur’s explicit consent. I agree I will discuss the personal and business affairs of the entrepreneur only with those people within ProMontreal Entrepreneurs program who have a reasonable need to the information in order to assist the entrepreneur. I understand that discussions within the ProMontreal Entrepreneurs program will remain confidential. I further agree to take due care to protect all plans or other material given to me by the entrepreneur or any ProMontreal Entrepreneurs representative.
Conflict of Interest
I will hold no financial investment in the business. I will immediately report any real, potential or perceived conflict of interest, personal interest or competitive position of mentors or others involved with the ProMontreal Entrepreneurs program to the Mentorship Program Committee.
I will respond to the entrepreneur’s telephone and/or e-mail messages as quickly as possible, preferably within three business days. I understand continuous communication will help the business owner and I develop a trusting and mutually beneficial relationship.
I agree to communicate professionally with the entrepreneur and the ProMontreal Entrepreneurs Coordinator. I further agree to attempt to work through any relationship conflicts that may arise with the entrepreneur. If the entrepreneur and I are unable to maintain a beneficial working relationship within the context of the program, I will advise the Mentorship Program Committee on a timely basis.
I understand ProMontreal will follow up with telephone and e-mail exchanges between the business owner and myself in order to evaluate and make improvements to the program. To further facilitate program enhancement, I will complete a Mentor Feedback Report in order to provide feedback on the progress of the mentoring relationship.