• Consider a Shingles shot – If you are over 50, speak to your doctor. For most of us, it’s a very small price to pay compared to the misery that can be shingles. Just ask anyone who has had it.
• Home insurance – if you have a home, whether a small apartment or you own your house, you should have an insurance plan that covers at least basic damages, and liability in case someone gets hurt on your premises.
• Change your bulbs to LEDs. You’ll re-coup your investment in savings in 1-2 years and then keep saving for well over a decade
• A monthly bus pass for 3 months. A monthly pass is much less expensive than bus tickets or a car, and gives you the freedom to go where you want, when you want. Until December 10th, take advantage of the STM’s annual sign-up and get a month free. OPUS à l’année is an annual subscription program.
• 3 years of Netflix or other streaming service – and consider cutting out your cable and specialty channels
This article is part of a special series by Ometz for Financial Literacy Month. Ometz runs “Money Matters”, a financial capacity-building program. This project was made possible through financial support from the Education and Good Governance Fund of the Autorité des marchés financiers. Information, opinions and statements made are solely the responsibility of Ometz.