Make a difference in the lives of young people, adults and families. Volunteers are a vital part of Ometz and we have many meaningful opportunities for you to make a positive impact on someone’s life.
An ideal volunteer is:
- Caring and sensitive to others
- A good listener
- Open to people of all backgrounds
- Respectful of confidentiality
- Able to offer simple support and guidance
- Become part of the community of Ometz volunteers
- Receive ongoing training and support from our team of professionals
- Build your skills
- Enhance your resume
- Be entitled to a letter of reference after a minimum of six months
- Ultimately gain even more than you give
Be a role model for a young person by developing a meaningful relationship. Through regular and consistent outings, which you plan together, you will make a difference while having fun.
Provide friendly support to a young adult with autism spectrum disorder or mild intellectual challenges. By facilitating regular social interactions, you will build a relationship and foster independence.
Develop a relationship with an individual living alone or who may have mental health challenges, to help reduce their isolation, develop their independence, and improve their overall quality of life. Everyone can benefit from friendship and encouragement.
Act as a role model for parents to help them enhance their skills and engage more meaningfully with their children. You can be a support to a parent struggling with every day child related challenges by listening and sharing experiences.
- Be an academic role model to a student in elementary school or high school by providing social, emotional and learning support in one of our after school programs. Dinner and special activities are included. Programs run Monday and Wednesday or Tuesday and Thursday from 4:30 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
- Be an academic role model by providing one -on -one support to a student requiring assistance in a specific subject. Weekly meetings are arranged at a time and place suitable to both you and your student. Matches are made based on your interests and skills.
- Be an academic role model to young adult students working toward completing their high school equivalency exams. Program runs Tuesday and Thursday evenings from 6:15p.m. to 8:30p.m.
Help clients who are overwhelmed, by modelling organizational and budgeting strategies.
Income Tax Assistance -Volunteer Program
Complete and electronically file income tax returns for clients. The Canada Revenue Agency provides the required training and reference materials. All returns will be completed at Ometz offices during March and April.
For more information about volunteering with Ometz,
You may also be interested in: